Brooke Astor's Country Manor

The estate of the late Brooke Astor is for sale. This astoundingly beautiful home reminds me of how wonderful traditional design can be. The main house of the estate is a stone manor. The manor is located on sixty-four acres with views of the Hudson. Not bad...
When I look at the rooms I can easily imagine the life, the parties, the relationships, the business deals that began and ended all in this house, this stately, elegant home.

This staircase area is my favorite.I love the curve of the staircase, the white and black tiled floor and the wonderful wall of art.The living room is large and very charming. The traditional details on the walls, the wide expanse of window and the groupings of furniture arranged for conversation all add to the charm of this room.The dining room with its needlepoint rug and detailed architecture is is wonderful. But... I wonder what happened to the chandelier?
I love libraries whether its private or the public one in my neighborhood. The beautiful upholstered furniture and elegant window treatments make this library truly special. Here we have two of the ten bedrooms in the house. Each is filled with the gracious details of  traditional design. Its easy to imagine a guest having their morning coffee sitting on the loveseat enjoying the view.

And we knew there would be a canopy bed... Right? I love the way it almost skims the ceiling. What a wonderful, comfortable room.                              .
The sunroom is another favorite. I like everything about this room. The walls of glass, the cool tile floor, the mix of fabrics on the furniture combine to create a comfortable, bright room.                                                And then there is the view. A stunning combination of rolling hills, beautiful foliage and the Hudson in the distance. A truly wonderful setting for a gorgeous traditional home.photos from http://www.houlihanlawrence.com/

Is traditional your style?

Labels: